Online classes running weekly. Please click on each class for more information.
Sun Moon Yoga Classes are available for both complete beginner and those with more experience.
Classes are taught with the individual in mind, and students are encouraged to tune in to their body sensations and become aware of the breath, to find comfort and stability at each stage of their practice. All classes involve mindful movement, steady postures and breath awareness to keep the body healthy, mobile and strong, and to bring the mind to the present moment.
Yoga Classes in Sheffield and Online
Choose a class:
Monday Morning Somatics 9.30am (Full – waiting list only)£10.00 – £40.00 Select options
Monday Morning Somatics 11am (Full – waiting list only)£10.00 – £40.00 Select options
Tuesday Morning All Levels Yoga£8.00 – £30.00 Select options
Tuesday Evening Beginners Yoga£8.00 – £30.00 Select options
Thursday Morning Gentle Yoga£8.00 – £30.00 Select options
Thursday Evening Somatics£10.00 – £40.00 Select options
Thursday Evening Yoga£8.00 – £30.00 Select options
Online 1-1 Yoga Therapy and Somatics£30.00 – £75.00 Select options
Online 1 to 1, 2 to 1 or small group Restorative Yoga£30.00 Add to basket
Online Class Information
- All classes run for 75 mins.
- All participants will need access to Wifi and be able to use Zoom. This is very easy and will not cost you anything. You will need to create an account, but only the free account.
- Somatics class participants will need to have a camera pointed at their body lying on the floor. These classes are limited to a small group for more individual attention.
- Yoga class passes can be used at any Yoga class, however you must inform me when you change from your regular class.
- You may also like to visit my Sun Moon Yoga You Tube Channel.
Somatic Movement Class
- Specialist class limited to 6 people, for more individual attention.
- Suitable for those with chronic muscular pain and stiffness
- Learn simple movements to relieve pain in the body and to bring about coordinated movement
- Especially suitable for those with existing medical conditions, injuries or limited mobility.
- Classes sold as 5 week pass valid from date of your first class.
- Drop-in spaces may be available. Please enquire.
What is Somatics?
‘Somatics’ refers to a practice of movement, developed by Thomas Hanna, that enhances awareness of one’s body, leading to more efficient and pain free movement in our everyday lives.
Somatics works at the level of the nervous system, and can help us to get in touch with our inner bodily sensations and movement patterns or reflexes that often go unnoticed.
Thomas Hanna discovered that there are three basic reflexes in the body that are unconsciously created through our experiences to life. These reflexes can sometimes lead to unhelpful, awkward movements that create pain in the body, and agitation in the mind.
Somatic movement uses simple techniques that teach the nervous system to relax held tensions allowing us to begin to move in a more coordinated, functional and pain free manner.
The Greek word ‘soma’ from which ‘somatics’ derives, refers to the body as it is perceived internally by the individual, or from the first person perspective. The student of Somatics is encouraged to sense from within, to begin to notice what they can and cannot feel, and to learn how to unlock habitual distorted patterns of movement and replace them with more efficient functional patterns.
Benefits of Somatic Education
- Release and reverse neuromuscular pain (chronic and acute)
- Improve mobility, strength and coordination
- Improve posture and appearance
- Eliminate the need for guarding to protect injured areas
- Improve physical fitness
- Create a new freedom of movement
- Ease of breathing
- Improve athletic skills
- Long term pain relief from a host of common conditions
- Life long skills that teach you how to regain voluntary control of habitually tight muscles
- Greater physical independence and mastery of your movement
- Increased flexibility, coordination, stress relief, balance and proprioception
- A safe, easy and common sense alternative to drugs, and surgery
I am a fully qualified, professional Yoga Therapist, having completed training with Yogacampus in London, which is accredited by The British Council of Yoga Therapy, and have since, regularly update my knowledge by attended therapeutic Yoga workshops with internationally renowned teachers. I am a member of the International Association of Yoga Therapists (IAYT) and am registered with the Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council (CNCH). I am a qualified Corrective Exercise Specialist (NASM), and am currently a Somatic Movement educator in training, with Essential Somatics.